Kit #AA2067. 1/72 scale. Highly-detailed resin kit with decals. After the end of the second World War, the USAAF found the C-74 Globemaster to be a very capable and useful aircraft, and began to consider acquiring an improved version proposed by Douglas. It used the same wing, tail and engines from the C-74, but featured a new and enlarged fuselage, as well as clamshell doors in the nose. The result was the C-124 Globemaster II. The YC-124 prototype made its first flight in 1949. The first operational C-124 was delivered in 1950. It provided valuable service in the Korean war, but was deemed too slow in the Vietnam era, so it was earned nickname "Old Shakey". A total of 204 C-124A, and 243 C-124C were built, and a turboprop-powered KC-124B tanker variant was considered. In 1970, most the C-124s were transferred to the Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard. The C-124 was finally replaced by the C-5 Galaxy in 1974.