Kit #AA2064. 1/72 scale. Highly-detailed resin kit with decals. In 1940, Curtiss proposed an initial design for the eventual replacement for the P-40 to the USAAF. The aircraft's design inverted the continental engine to the P-40 fuselage and tail assembly. This proposal was accepted and a contract for two prototypes, XP-53 was issued. At the end of 1940, the USAAF modified order to install the XP-53 with British Merlin engine. The prototype was redesignated XP-60. Due to the delivery delay of the Merlin engine, the Allison engine was considered and the airplane was redesignated XP-60A. In 1942, the order was changed again to produce one XP-60B with a Wright engine and one XP-60C with a Chrysler engine. For performance improvement, Curtiss installed the Pratt & Whitney radial engine with contra-rotating propeller in the XP-60C. In January 1943, the XP-60C made its first flight, and it was assessed as generally satisfactory. It led to the XP-60B installed with the same Pratt & Whitney engine, but changed with the four-bladed propeller. It was redesignated XP-60E. The XP-60E made its first flight in May of 1943, but performed poorly. In May 1944, the Army discontinued further work on the project because the P-47 and the P-51 satisfied all the Army's requirements at the time.